October 24, 2019
Cococo's Best Chocolate Truffles
- 250 g (about 1 cup) chopped Cococo Semi-Sweet or Bittersweet couverture chocolate
- 125 g (1/2 cup) full fat 35% whipping cream (VEGAN option – substitute 3/8 cup + 1 tbsp full fat coconut milk, well shaken)
- 1.5 oz (3 tbsp / 45 g) unsalted butter (VEGAN option – omit butter or use vegan butter)
- Cococo Powder (optional)
- Chocolate Shavings (optional)
Yields about 24 truffles, depending on the size you make them.
- Place finely chopped chocolate into a high-sided bowl or the bowl of a blender. Place cream and butter in a saucepan over medium heat until hot but not simmering; remove the pan from the heat. Stir well.
- Pour hot cream mixture over the chocolate and mix thoroughly with a blender or a hand-held immersion blender until you achieve a smooth consistency. You can also stir by hand with a sturdy whisk, spatula or wooden spoon.
- Pour and spread the mixture into a baking tray with a minimum 1” rim. Let cool in fridge till the mixture is hard; about an hour.
- Scoop small pieces with a melon-baller or a coffee spoon. Roll pieces by hand into round or oval shapes. (Tip: wear gloves, or dust your hands with cocoa powder or icing sugar before shaping the truffles into balls).
- Roll the truffles in cocoa powder, icing sugar, or anything light.
We used :
crushed candy canes
crushed ginger snap cookies
a blend of Matcha tea and icing sugar
hazelnuts and cocoa nibs
cherry sugar crystals (like Jello crystals)
a blend of ground coffee, sugar and cinnamon
Store finished truffles in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 14 days (the crunchier coatings will soften the longer they are in the fridge).
Allow truffles to warm to room temperature for 20 minutes before enjoying the full flavour of the chocolate.
The truffle centre mixture freezes well and can be thawed in the fridge until it is workable (about 24 hours), at which time you can roll it and enrobe it in any coatings of your choosing.
Download this recipe as a pdf
simply print the pdf from your desktop or mobile device