Stacey and Meg from Cut Cooking shared this this easy gluten-free Chocolate Crème Pâtissière (also known as chocolate pastry cream) with us, just in time for Mother's Day! Chocolate Pastry Cream is like the richest, creamiest pudding you can imagine 😁 Pastry chefs use it as a filling for cakes, tarts and pastries, but you can also try spreading it over waffles or pancakes, wrapped within a crepe, in a pie crust, or as a dip for strawberries. Note: be sure to plan ahead — although this isn't a hard recipe, it will take about 2 hours before it is ready to use.Ingredients:
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup flour or gluten-free flour
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4.5 oz Cococo Semisweet Chocolate (or semisweet chocolate drops)
In a medium bowl, sift flour with sugar and then add egg yolks. Stir well to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan on LOW heat, combine whipping cream and vanilla. Begin heating to bring cream/vanilla to a slow boil. This will take approximately 45 minutes. Do not rush this step and do not turn the heat up higher. You will burn the cream. Be sure to also frequently whisk the cream and scrape the sides of the pot so the edges don’t also burn.
- Finely chop the chocolate. Set aside.
- Once bubbles begin to break at the surface of the cream in the pot, pour half of liquid from the pot into the CUT flour/sugar/yolk mixture. Combine well using whisk.
- Once stirred smooth, pour the CUT flour mixture back into the pot with the other half of the cream. Combine well using whisk. Continue to heat for 10 minutes on LOW heat.
- Add chopped chocolate and whisk well. Keep mixing until all the chocolate is melted and your cream looks smooth.
- Pour Chocolate Crème Pâtissière into a 9” x 13” pan.
- Cover the entire top with plastic wrap, ensuring the plastic wrap is resting right on top of the pastry cream. This will make sure it doesn’t dry out while setting.
- Set in fridge to cool for approximately 1 hour.
- Scoop pastry cream into a piping bag and pipe into bowls for a beautiful presentation, fill into a baked pie crust, profiteroles, or simply grab a spoon!
Download this recipe as a pdf
simply print the pdf from your desktop or mobile device