A fun twist on the traditional hot chocolate bomb! This dessert features a chocolate sphere stuffed with rich gluten-free chocolate cake with Skor bits, covered with a warm gingerbread sauce to create a dramatic melt.
Thanks to Meg and Stacey at Cut Cooking for another amazing chocolate recipe.
- 1 cup regular flour, or gluten-free flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk (substitution: if you don’t have this on hand: you can substitute by simply adding 1 tbsp vinegar to ½ cup whole milk, stir well and add to cake batter)
- ½ cup HOT water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
Cake Filling for Chocolate Cake Bomb
- Use 3/4 of the baked and cooled cake, crumbled into large pieces
- 1 cup Skor toffee bits
- ½ can Sweetened Condensed Milk
Chocolate Cake Bomb Shell
- 10 oz Cococo couverture chocolate (your choice of milk, dark, white), chopped in small pieces
- silicone sphere or chocolate bomb moulds (available from baking or craft supply stores like Michaels, or online at Amazon)
- ¼ cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Using an electric mixer, prepare cake. Combining everything into large mixing bowl. Stir.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 40-45 min. Insert toothpick into cake, if comes out clean, cake is ready!
- Remove from oven and let fully cool.
- Using a double boiler, temper chocolate. If using semisweet 32° C, milk chocolate to 30° C, white chocolate 29° C.
- Using silicone moulds, pour 1-2 tbsp. into each cup. Using a spoon, spread or pull chocolate to all sides covering the chocolate evenly throughout.
- Invert the entire mould on a cooling rack to let chocolate fully harden and to avoid settling on the bottom of each sphere.
- When fully cooled, remove from mould.
- When cake has cooled, crumble 3/4 in large piece into a large bowl.
- Add Condensed Milk and Skor bits. Stir to combine.
- Fill each chocolate half with cake bomb filling - use approximately 1-2 tbsp. into each half sphere or “cup”.
- Optional: If making a chocolate bomb “ornament”: 1) break the hooked top off of a candy cane. 2) Using a warmed knife, cut indents into one half-sphere moulds so that the top edge of the candy cane sits flush with outer edge of the half-sphere.
- Warm a frying pan over low to medium heat. Work with 2 half-spheres at a time. Holding the pan vertically, briefly touch the flat edge of the first chocolate half-sphere against the warm pan to soften and slightly and melt the edges. Do the same with the second half=sphere.
- Touch the heated half-spheres together — the melted chocolate "glues" them together to create a full sphere. Hold together briefly until they set. Let sit on a counter to fully cool.
- Using a medium sized saucepan on low heat, combine all ingredients. Stir well.
- Bring all ingredients to a slow boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Place completed cake bomb in small bowl.
- Pour 2 tbsp. of hot gingerbread sauce over the bomb and watch the chocolate sphere melt.
- Dig in!
Download this recipe as a pdf
simply print the pdf from your desktop or mobile device