Made from antioxidant-rich cocoa, chocolate has become known for its heart-healthy benefits. But now research shows that dark chocolate may actually be good for your skin, too.
Dark chocolate contains catechins, polyphenols, and flavanols, which are powerful antioxidants. The flavonols present in chocolate not only can protect skin from harmful UV rays but also improve skin hydration levels and boost blood flow.
Containing cocoa, melted chocolate, and other ingredients you'll already have in your kitchen, here are three fun DIY chocolate face mask recipes to try at home!
- Before applying a face mask, always start with a clean face.
- Never let the face mask dry completely. Remove it when it is semi-dry. If the face mask has dried completely, dab some water to soften it, then wait for a few minutes before removing.
- While removing the chocolate mask, massage the skin in a circular motion.
- Be careful while applying face masks and be sure to avoid the eye area.
Face Mask for Oily and Acne-Prone Skin
- 1 tablespoon Cococo natural cocoa powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey (preferably organic)
- In a bowl, combine the cocoa powder, honey, and cinnamon.
- Stir well to make a paste. If the paste is too thick, add a bit more honey.
- Apply it to your face and neck, avoiding eyes.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and then wash off.
How Often: Twice a week.
Why This Works: Chocolate and honey possess antioxidant properties that kill acne-causing bacteria without drying your skin.
Dark Chocolate Face Mask For Normal Skin
- 2 x 56g Cococo extra dark chocolate bars
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Using a microwave, melt the chocolate in a bowl at 30 second increments, stirring well. Don't let the chocolate burn!
- Add the salt, sugar, and milk to the melted chocolate; mix well.
- Allow mixture to cool, then apply to your face and neck, avoiding eyes.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off.
How Often: Twice a week.
Why This Works: Rich in antioxidants, this chocolate face mask nourishes your skin and protects it from harmful free radicals.
Chocolate Face Mask For Dull Skin
- 4 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons coffee powder
- 8 tablespoons heavy cream (you may use almond milk, yogurt, or coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk or melted coconut oil
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well until combined.
- Apply in circular motions to your face and neck, avoiding eyes.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes, then rinse off.
How Often: Once a week.
Why This Works: This mask nourishes your skin and also gently exfoliates it. The coconut oil hydrates, the dairy product moisturizes, and the cocoa powder soothes with its anti-inflammatory properties.