Made from antioxidant-rich cocoa, chocolate has become known for its heart-healthy benefits. Although eating chocolate was once believed to cause breakouts, research shows that the dark variety is actually good for your skin.
Chocolate face mask are packed with antioxidants your skin needs. Dark chocolate contains catechins, polyphenols, and flavanols. These organic compounds make it a powerful antioxidant. Dark chocolates are made from cacao seed extracts that are considered super fruits in terms of the antioxidant capacity. A study shows that dark cocoa chocolates contain more flavanols, polyphenols, and other antioxidants than any other fruits.
The flavonols present in chocolate not only protect your skin from the harmful UV rays but also improve the hydration levels of your skin and boost blood flow.
Cacao extracts can also cure the symptoms of atopic dermatitis. A study involving mice conducted by the researchers from Seoul National University and the University of Massachusetts found that the polyphenols found in cacao extracts decreased inflammation and cured other allergic symptoms related to the skin condition.
Now that you know what chocolate can do to your skin, let’s explore some DIY chocolate face masks that you can easily try at home.
- Before applying a face pack, always cleanse your face and remove all traces of dirt and impurities.
- Never let the face pack dry completely. Remove it when it is semi-dry. In case the face pack has dried completely, dab some water and wait for a few minutes before removing it. If it is completely dry, you need to rub hard to remove it, which isn’t good for your skin.
- While removing the chocolate mask, always massage the skin in a circular motion.
- Be careful while applying face pack near the eye area. Never apply it too near to the eyes as the skin there is too delicate.
Face Mask for Oily and Acne-Prone Skin
- 1 tablespoon Cococo natural cocoa powder
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey (organic)
- In a bowl and mix the cocoa powder, honey, and cinnamon.
- Make a paste. If the paste is too thick, add more honey.
- Apply it to your face and neck.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and then wash it off.
How Often: Twice a week.
Why This Works: Chocolate and honey possess antioxidant properties that kill the acne-causing bacteria without drying your skin. They also keep your skin soft and supple.
Dark Chocolate Face Mask For Normal Skin
- 2 x 56g Cococo extra dark chocolate bars
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl.
- Add the salt, sugar, and milk to it and mix well.
- Allow it to cool and then apply to your face and neck.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it off.
How Often: Twice a week.
Why This Works: Rich in antioxidants, this chocolate face mask nourishes your skin and protects it from harmful free radicals.
Chocolate Face Mask For Dull Skin
- 4 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons coffee powder
- 8 tablespoons heavy cream (you may use almond milk, yogurt, or coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk or melted coconut oil
- Combine all the ingredients.
- Apply the pack on your face and neck.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash it off.
How Often: Once a week.
Why This Works: This face pack not only nourishes your skin but also gently exfoliates it. The coconut oil keeps it hydrated, the dairy product moisturizes it, and the cocoa powder soothes your skin as it has anti-inflammatory properties.