This delightful gluten-free scone recipe is a delicious combination of zesty orange, tart cranberry, and sweet Ruby chocolate, and it's courtesy of Stacey and Meg at Calgary's own Cut Cooking.
- 2 ¼ cups flour or gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 egg plus milk to make ¾ cup
- ½ orange zest, about one orange
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup cranberries
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- 7 oz chopped Ruby Couverture
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add butter, honey, milk, egg, orange zest and almond extract, stir until incorporated.
- Stir in cranberries.
- On a greased baking sheet, shape dough into two rounds, about 1″-1 1/2″ thick.
- Cut each round into 6 pieces, separating slightly on the pan.
- Brush the tops of the scones with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes.
- Cool completely before tempering chocolate.
- In a double boiler, melt 6 oz of chopped Ruby chocolate on low heat.
- When chocolate reaches 110°F (43.3°C), remove from heat and add 1 oz of chopped Ruby chocolate and stir well until it cools the melted chocolate to the desired temperature (about 28.5°C to 30°C).
Note: this process called "tempering". You can read more about tempering chocolate in our handy guide.
- When chocolate reaches 85°F (about 28.5°C – 30°C), drizzle the tempered Ruby Chocolate over scones and ENJOY!
Download this recipe as a pdf
simply print the pdf from your desktop or mobile device