This delightful gluten-free scone recipe is a delicious combination of zesty orange, tart cranberry, and sweet Ruby chocolate, and it's courtesy of Stacey and Meg at Calgary's own Cut Cooking.
"This recipe for Ruby Scones is extra special. It’s the perfect brunch item or in-between snack to prepare at home for those you love."
- 2 ¼ cups flour or Cut Cooking Gluten Free Flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 egg plus milk to make ¾ cup
- ½ orange zest, about one orange
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup cranberries
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- 7 oz chopped Ruby Couverture
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add butter, honey, milk, egg, orange zest and almond extract, stir until incorporated.
- Stir in cranberries.
- On a greased baking sheet, shape dough into two rounds, about 1″-1 1/2″ thick.
- Cut each round into 6 pieces, separating slightly on the pan.
- Brush the tops of the scones with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes.
- Cool completely before tempering chocolate.
- In a double boiler, melt 6 oz of chopped Ruby chocolate on low heat.
- When chocolate reaches 110°F (43.3°C), remove from heat and add 1 oz of chopped Ruby chocolate and stir well until it cools the melted chocolate to the desired temperature (about 28.5°C to 30°C).
Note: this process called "tempering". You can read more about tempering chocolate in our handy guide.
- When chocolate reaches 85°F (about 28.5°C – 30°C), drizzle the tempered Ruby Chocolate over scones and ENJOY!
Download this recipe as a pdf
simply print the pdf from your desktop or mobile device