- 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutched Cocoa Powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 1 cup milk or any combination of milk, half-and-half, or cream (Vegan option: use almond mylk or oat mylk)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together the cocoa, sugar, salt, and about 2 tablespoons of milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until cocoa and sugar are dissolved. Whisk in the rest of the milk and heat it over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until it is hot. Stir in the vanilla and serve.
- If you like your hot cocoa frothy, use a hand whisk or hand blender.
- This recipe multiplies easily. For 4 servings with 4 cups milk, use ¼ teaspoon salt (but remember, salt is optional).
Try our Hot Cocoa and Hot Chocolate recipes: