¾ cup light brown sugar
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 cup Cococo’s unsweetened cocoa powder (either Dutched cocoa or Natural cocoa)
1 cup cold water
¼ teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a cold medium saucepan whisk together salt, sugars, and cocoa until they are well combined and lumps disappear.
- Slowly add water and whisk to combine.
- Turn heat to medium and bring a boil, whisking frequently.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, stirring occasionally. Allow the mixture to simmer until it has slightly reduced in volume and has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla, combining well.
- Pour into a mason jar and allow to come to room temperature. Cover and store in the refrigerator for 7-10 days. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
Whether you call it "chocolate sauce" or "chocolate syrup" this recipe is delicious poured over ice cream (obviously), stirred into a cold glass of milk, in milkshakes, as a dip for churros, fresh fruit like strawberries, bananas, pineapple, or drizzled over pancakes. Yum!
Download this recipe as a pdf
simply print the pdf from your desktop or mobile device