- 200 g (about 1 cup) Cococo bittersweet extra dark chocolate baking bar (72% cocoa) chopped, or use Cococo bittersweet chocolate drops
- 12 pecans, coarsely chopped
- 12 almonds, coarsely chopped
- 12 cashews, coarsely chopped
- Dried fruit (for example: goji berries, apricot, raisins, cranberries), chopped if large
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or line a mini muffin tray).
- Slowly melt the chocolate (be patient!) — this might take about 10 - 15 minutes.
• You can use a double boiler (bain-marie), stirring constantly until chocolate is fully melted, but being very careful not to let any water vapour sneak into the chocolate, or
• You can melt the chocolate in the microwave (in a heat-proof bowl) at 15 second intervals, stirring very well between each interval, until the chocolate is fully melted. Be careful not to let the chocolate burn or over melt (If you’d like, you can add a small amount of vegan butter to prevent burning).
- Drop a tablespoonful of the chocolate onto the sheet and use the back of a spoon to spread it into a circle about about 4 to 6 cm in diameter. Keep the thickness as even as possible to hold the weight of the nuts and dried fruit.
- Work quickly, before the chocolate circle dries. For each mendiant, arrange a piece of pecan, almond, cashew and a couple of dried fruits on top of the melted chocolate — feel free to add anything else you like.
- Repeat the process until you have used all of the melted chocolate, nuts, and or fruits. Allow the mendiants to harden at room temperature. You can speed the process by placing the tray in the refrigerator.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee (and a smile)
- Store the mendiants in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Makes 30 mendiants.
Recipe courtesy of Cococo team member, Alison / @lili.shenp
Download this recipe as a pdf
simply print the pdf from your desktop or mobile device