FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 tsp table syrup or maple syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour or regular flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 X 454g package (1 lb.) bacon, cooked and crumbled into small pieces. You'll use 1/4 cup in the cupcake batter. Reserve the rest for the buttercream icing and the cupcake “core”.
FOR THE ICING - 1) Chocolate Bourbon Buttercream Icing 2) Bacon Chocolate Bourbon Buttercream Icing
- 1 cup soft butter
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup melted Cococo semisweet couverture chocolate drops (or about 4 oz of chopped chocolate, roughly 2 of our 56g chocolate bars)
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- Reserved gluten-free bacon, cooked and crumbled small
Preheat oven to 350°F
- Begin making the cupcake batter. Combine “wet” ingredients, Greek yogurt, bourbon, egg whites, oil, and table syrup into large mixing bowl.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda into a separate mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer with whisk attachment, combine wet and dry ingredients. Don’t over mix.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the crumbled bacon bits into the batter.
- Place liners in muffin tray. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full of batter.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, until cupcakes are slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly, approximately 5-10 minutes. Remove individual cupcakes from pan onto cooling rack and let completely cool.
- Begin making the two types of Chocolate Bourbon Buttercream icing. Using electric mixer and whisk attachment, whip butter until soft and smooth. Mix in bourbon.
- Gradually add icing sugar. Allow sugar and butter to mix well before each new addition.
- Melt Cococo’s couverture semisweet chocolate drops or chocolate pieces in microwave using short 25 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Once completely melted and slightly cooled, add to the icing and stir well.
- Divide icing in half into two separate bowls. Add remaining reserved crumbled bacon into one bowl and stir well. This will be the Bacon Chocolate Bourbon Buttercream icing. The second bowl will contain the regular Chocolate Bourbon Buttercream icing.
- Using an apple corer, a knife, or small spoon, scoop a section from the middle of each cupcake. Take care not to go through the cupcake liner and make sure you leave a small layer of cake at the bottom.
- Fill each cupcake hole with the Bacon Chocolate Bourbon Buttercream Icing, filling completely. Using a small butter knife or spatula, seal the core and smooth over the top of the cupcake.
- Pipe or spread a generous amount of the regular Chocolate Bourbon Buttercream Icing on top of each cupcake.
Thanks to Meg and Stacey at Cut Cooking for this incredible recipe.
Download this recipe as a pdf
simply print the pdf from your desktop or mobile device