July 13, 2020
Easy Chocolate Magic Shell for Ice Cream
This recipe works with milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate too. It's magic to see the chocolate hardening right before your eyes!
- 4 ounces chopped couverture chocolate (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup) - you can use semisweet, bittersweet, milk, white, or ruby!
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil (you can also use vegetable oil if you're not crazy about the flavour of coconut in your chocolate)
- Place chopped couverture and the coconut oil in the top portion of a double boiler or a heat-proof bowl set over barely boiling water. Heat the chocolate and the coconut oil slowly until melted and smooth, stirring often. Alternatively, melt in the microwave at 15-second increments, stirring well, until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and let cool for about 10-15 minutes before using on ice cream. If mixture thickens, microwave for 10 seconds or return to the double boiler for 10-15 seconds, stirring well.
- Pour the chocolate magic shell over ice cream or dip ice cream cones (ice cream side down, of course!) — if you’d like, decorate with freeze-dried raspberries, sprinkles, nuts, coconut pieces, etc., before the the shell hardens.
- Store unused chocolate magic shell in a sealed container on the counter for up to 1 week. Before using, stir well.