Known to some as “Christmas Crack,” this saltine cracker toffee recipe is the holiday treat that’s salty, sweet, crunchy, and chewy — it really ticks all of the boxes!
- 40 salted saltine crackers, or enough to line your pan
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups couverture milk chocolate drops or semisweet chocolate drops
- 3/4cup chopped pecans, cashews, or pistachios, if desired. If you don’t want nuts, leave them off entirely.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Line 15x10x1-inch pan or large rimmed cookie sheet with foil or parchment and spray it with cooking spray.
- Place saltine crackers in single layer in pan.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter and brown sugar to boiling over medium heat. Continue boiling for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines; spread to cover crackers completely. Guard against burns, caramel is HOT!
- Bake in the oven for 5 to 6 minutes or until bubbly. Watch carefully and don’t over bake! The sugar can burn quickly at the high temperature.
- Remove from oven; sprinkle couverture chocolate drops over top. Let stand a minute or two to melt; spread evenly with a spatula (don't forget to lick the spatula when you're done). Alternate method: in microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate drops uncovered on High about 1 minute or until they can be stirred smooth; spread over crackers.
- If desired, top with chopped nuts (optional).
Cool completely on cooling rack, about 40 minutes. Refrigerate 15 to 20 minutes or until chocolate is firm. Break into pieces.
Store saltine cracker candy in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks; it is yummy and extra crunchy when it's chilled!
Download this recipe as a pdf
simply print the pdf from your desktop or mobile device