1 3/4 cup milk (2% or whole)
1/2 up Half & Half cream
1/2 cup couverture chocolate drops, shavings or chocolate morsels (in small pieces suitable for melting) - we like Bittersweet, but you can use any kind of chocolate but you'll have to adjust the sugar.
Brown sugar (optional, to taste)
- In sauce pan, combine the milk, the half & half, and any flavourings or spices of your choice (for example, lavender, cloves, mint etc. See below for ideas).
- Bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let the flavours infuse for 2 to 5 minutes (longer for a stronger flavour — experiment!)
- Pour the milk through a strainer into a bowl (if you are not using spices or flavouring, you may skip this step)
- Return the milk to the sauce pan and return to simmer, stirring constantly, being careful not to let the milk scald.
- Add the bittersweet chocolate and the sugar; whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour into mugs and, if you prefer, top with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, or marshmallows.
Spices or flavourings (optional) per recipe:
Lavender hot chocolate – Add 1/2 tsp. Lavender
Spiced hot chocolate (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger) – Add 1/2 tsp. – 1 tsp.
Mint (fresh crushed mint or dried mint)– 1/2 tsp. – 1 tsp.
Ancho Chili powder – 1/4 tsp. (or to taste)
Cayenne Powder – Pinch (or more for lots of heat)
Rosemary Fusion Habanero Hot Chocolate – Stir pieces of our Rosemary Fusion chocolate tablet into hot milk or hot chocolate, to taste.
Oregano Fusion Habanero Hot Chocolate – Stir in pieces of our Oregano Fusion chocolate tablet into hot milk or hot chocolate, to taste.