- 2 cups whole cold milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 ounces (about 1/2 c) chopped couverture milk chocolate or dark couverture chocolate (shortcut - use chocolate drops)
- Pour cold milk into a medium saucepan and add cornstarch. Whisk to dissolve cornstarch.
- Once cornstarch is dissolved, place pan on medium heat and heat the milk just until it is starting to simmer around edges of pan. Do not boil.
- Remove the pan from heat. Add chopped chocolate immediately, and begin stirring until chocolate is completely melted. If the milk cools off before chocolate is melted, then briefly place the pan on low heat to melt the remaining chocolate.
- Once chocolate has been fully incorporated, place the pan back on stove over medium-low heat, stirring slowly but constantly.
- When mixture begins to simmer, it should start to thicken (that's the cornstarch working its magic). As soon as you see evidence of thickening, remove the pan from heat.
- Ladle hot chocolate immediately into cups and serve piping hot, ideally with churros, biscuits, or fruit for dipping!
Makes 2-4 servings, depending on portions.
Try our other Hot Cocoa and Hot Chocolate recipes: